Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 87: Recovery From Our First Snow Day!

Wednesday, January 18, was supposed to be Day 87.  However, due to several inches of snow and an extra coating of ice, we had our first snow day.  So Day 87 was today.

Can I just tell you how much I don't like snow right now?  In the past three weeks, I have had one interruption a week--two snow delays and one snow day.  We are forecasted to get another 3-4 inches tomorrow night into Friday morning.  So I could literally have a 2-day week this week.  The kids are excited over this prospect; I am not.

You know how hard it is to catch up on missed work.  Compound that by three (now possibly four, depending on the forecast).  I am three days behind in language arts now and am having a hard time catching up.  Case in point, the first day back from a long weekend (today) was a crazy day.  The children came back after a three-turned-four-day weekend.  They had an assembly this afternoon.  On top of that, I had two IEP (special education) meetings--one in the morning, one in the afternoon--covered by a sub.  There was no recess today, and I had computer lab.  Breaks today: 1, and that was lunch.  What did we accomplish today?  We began a story, defined vocabulary, did two days' worth of Daily Edit, read aloud, reviewed nouns, and independent reading.  We talked about landforms and did a math sheet.  There was no real time for a full math lesson today.  And then it was time for dismissal.

Tomorrow is the day the Scholastic staff members are visiting my room.  I am praying that I can actually get some real teaching in during the day while they are absorbing.  We have no scheduled interruptions--thank goodness!  I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment