Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 78: Half Day and Substitutes

Today was a half day for me.  Not because of a district day (We have one half day all year.), but because I had a doctor's appointment this morning to review my right knee.  The same knee I have been having problems with for the past few months.

Seems I injured my knee, or rather one of the tendons in my knee, and it hasn't had a chance to heal properly.  With children at work, children at home, and children every other weekend at my live-in job at the group home, it's no wonder.   I have to go back Monday to see a sport clinician for treatment options.  Some of the options already given to me are: complete immobilization of my leg for a period of time (SO not practical at this point in time), consultation with an orthopedic surgeon (not quite feeling that one), or steroid injections in the joint (This seems the most likely; had them when I was younger for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.).  I've already been doing everything else I can think of, from icing the joint, taking ibuprofen when my stomach can handle it (although I was given a neat little patch to try today), elevation, wearing flats or sneakers (no heels for a while), and wearing a knee support when it's really painful.  I even teach part of the day sitting.  With all that said,  I'm just frustrated.  I'm in some state of continual pain, I haven't been able to exercise in months, and I've gained five pounds (and I am not a person who gains weight easily. I miss my Pilates!  And my running!).

Anyhow, my students have been very patient with me with all of these appointments and keep asking for updates when I come in after one.  It's sort of sweet.

I came in today during lunch, so I checked in with the sub, then picked them up from lunch.  You would have thought I was a rock star or something.  As I approached the cafeteria, my students were already lined up and I heard, "Mrs. _____'s back!  She's here!"  When I got into the doorway, I was mobbed by my second graders, each of whom tried to squeeze some part of me for a hug.  (I actually did feel like a rock star for just a minute!) After I got them calmed down enough to walk down the hallway like civilized people, we went on with business as usual.  Not that the sub was mean or anything; she used to teach in the same building I teach in now.  She is often a sub for me.  As the kids put it, "We had fun, but it just wasn't the same."

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment