Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 69: Symmetry, Snowflakes, and Other Geometry Stuff

We are finishing up our lessons in our geometry unit.  We did a project today that focused on symmetry.  I came up with the idea for a symmetry snowman.  The kids are partnered up to design their snowmen.  Each child draws one half of the snowman.  Then they switch papers and their partner has to copy the design and make it symmetrical.  I have a pic of the blank sheet I gave them; I will post one of the student pages after I have them up.


Snowman project
Two other projects I have done in the past are coffee-filter snowflakes and pipe cleaner snowflakes.  The coffee filter snowflakes are made the way we made snowflakes when we were little: fold the filter into a triangular shape and cut designs along the folds.  The second project is a pipe cleaner snowflake.  I give each student three pipe cleaners. (I like the iridescent ones, but you can use white or silver.)  We twist the pipe cleaners together and spread them out so that the arms are spread out evenly.  Then we thread beads along the arms to make a design/pattern. (I use blue, clear, and iridescent beads.)  Finally, we bend one of the ends over to make a loop and attach a ribbon.


This is the model I show my students.
 For both of the snowflake projects, I like to read the story Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin.  The students really like learning about the snowflakes and are eager to try and make their own designs.

Other books I like to use for my geometry unit are Shape Up by David A. Adler and The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns.  Snowflakes in Photographs by W. A. Bentley is also a good one to look through.  (FYI: You can also use this one when talking about snow during your weather unit in science.)

I hope you can use some of these ideas.  And as always, if you have a neat idea, please share with the rest of us! Leave them in the comment box and I'll post them for you.

Until then, just think ahead to the holidays.  They (and Winter Break) are almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment