Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 67: Architects and Engineers

Friday, December 10 was day 67.  I decided to use the math period of that day to do some building with my students.  (The kids LOVED this activity!) 

We are in our geometry unit, and we were studying 2D and 3D shapes.  It's sometimes hard for little ones to distinguish between the two.  A few years ago I started having my students build their shapes.  While there are all sorts of K'Nex-type materials or magnetic building sets, I can't always afford a class set of materials for the projects.

I decided to use toothpicks and marshmallows to create the shapes.  After the first year, I realized that marshmallows are a little too soft and they fall apart after a few pokes with the toothpick.  So then I started using gumdrops.  This year, with food allergies in the room, I went with a snack that was safe for both of my kiddos: Welch's Fruit Snacks.  The kids loved it and had a good time being architects for the period.  Check out some of the designs below:



My models made with marshmallows a few years back.  The marhsmallows tend to get sticky and fall apart with the kids manipulating them.  The result is a hard-to-clean mess!

One of my student's models.  He was so proud!
I have the kids start with the 2D shape.  Then I ask them what the 3D equivalent would be.  (For example, a square would turn into a cube.)  I let them build squares, triangles, and rectangles.  We then turn those into cubes, square pyramids, three-sided pyramids, and rectangular prisms.  We also build prisms.  (By the way, I only help with the first shape to show them how to attach the snacks to the toothpicks.  After that, they have to work it out.  They are allowed to converse with a neighbor.) 

If you can use this idea, please go right ahead.  Send me a comment and let me know how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment