Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 64: Me? Teacher Advisor?

I can say that today has been one of the most surreal days in my life.  One of those "I-can't-believe-this-is-really-happening-to-ME" days.  One of those days where you need to keep pinching yourself to make sure you aren't dreaming. 

What has me so worked up? 

Read on.

A few months ago, I applied to be on the Scholastic Teacher Advisor board.  For those of you who may not be aware of what this is, it is a board of 22 teachers who have been selected to work in conjunction with Scholastic to give feedback on materials, book selections used in classrooms, and suggestions for topics/genres to be added to Scholastic's offerings. 
I am pretty psyched because I was called by the woman in charge of the program.  She shared that while the board has 22 members, they only selected five new teachers this year to join.  AND I WAS ONE OF THOSE TEACHERS!

So in February, I will be travelling to New York to attend a conference and meet the other board members.  We'll have some workshops to attend and...I'm not sure what else at this point. (The packet of info hasn't come yet.)  I can honestly say that I am really looking forward to the whole process!   Except for maybe the Visit.  I was told today that my classroom will be visited and observed by two Scholastic staff members at some point prior to my workshop in New York.  (I may be a bit of a ball of nerves the day before.  You know that feeling you get when you have your formal observation done?)

I was also told that Scholastic will cover my travel, lodging, and meals.  The company has us staying in SoHo at the SoHo Grand Hotel.  I've been to different parts of the Big Apple, but never there.  I would like to check out a few places while I'm in the area, but I have no idea of where to begin. 

Do you know of any eclectic/authentic/interesting eateries I should try out?  Or shops?  Or bookstores?  Or museums? Or anything that doesn't involve drinking or clubs?  (Sorry, those just aren't my thing.)  Don't be afraid to share a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment