Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 91: There's Something Going Around

My poor custodians.  They have been shuttling back and forth these past few days dealing with various issues from sick children.  It seems that no room is immune.  In my own class, I have one out with pneumonia (and another that sits in her group who is sounding about the same way).  I also have a student with a double ear infection and another out with the flu.  I have still two to three others who are in various stages of coughing/hacking, sneezing, and stuffy noses.  Needless to say, I have been even more frantic about my students using tissues and washing their hands--as if my usual frantic-ness about all that isn't enough! I have also been spraying down desks, tables, carpets, etc. with Lysol before I leave each day this week.  (My favorite scent is Vanilla and Blossoms.  Smells good and isn't too strong.)

Of course, I'm sure the crazy weather has not helped matters.  Yesterday was 8 degrees when I left for work; today it was about 24.  By the end of the day, the temperature had dropped again, thanks to yet another cold front that is moving into the area.  By dismissal tomorrow, the local meteorologists have forecasted 3-4 inches of a slushy wintry mix.  The evening is supposed to be topped off by snow. 

So what do I do?  Seeing as I don't know what my district is going to do yet, I have two sets of plans for tomorrow: one for a regular, full day and one for a day with a possible early dismissal.  I also have a backup in case there is (dare I say?) another delay on Thursday morning. 

Ah, the joys of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment