Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 93: More Hours Gone

I. Am. SO. Tired. Of. SNOW.

I know there are many of you out there who have been reading my posts and wondering what I am complaining about because your cities and towns and school districts have been endlessly pounded by the winter storms that have been coming through since December.  I heard on the news that there have been eight major storms since December.

While we have had several delays and one snow day, I know countless others have had many snow days (and may have already reached your allotment for the year).  I know I should be thankful that I am not in one of those areas (and I am thankful), but I am tired of the snow.  It's just enough to be a nuisance.

Today we had another two-hour delay.  The kids are getting used to the routine, seeing as this is the fourth in four weeks.  (Add that to the snow day and early dismissal and the hours just tick away.)

My students know that on delays, there is no morning recess, no independent reading time before lunch, and the rest of our day is squeezed a bit or adjusted and carried over into the next day.  We managed to finish all of language arts, social studies, and half of math.  That lesson will be carried over into tomorrow.  The kiddos know we are about business and have managed to try and calm themselves before entering the room in the morning.  I have really appreciated that.

Friday is supposed to have flurries all day with another inch or so of precipitation.  We are also supposed to get another storm toward the middle of next week; right before conferences.  Joy.  I remember a few years ago, conferences had to be rescheduled and done on teachers' own time because the snow was so bad.  (If you've been reading a while, you know our conferences are usually done during a school day while the students have off.)  A lot of unhappy people that year.  I just want to have the snow pass early or late.  No rescheduling, please!

Next Wednesday is Groundhog Day.  I wonder what ol' Phil is going to tell us...as if we can't already guess.  An early arrival of spring, if that were actually possible, would be truly appreciated right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment