Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 57: Children

It's something to observe children on the eve of any sort of time off from school.  While they enjoy being with you during the day and may draw you pictures, or give you hugs, or tell you that you are the best teacher ever, they enjoy being away from you (and the school) just as much.  Maybe more!

My students thought they had me today during our review of the date.  We have Thursday through the following Monday off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  A student looks at me, smiles, and says, "Mrs. ______, this says 'No school!'" 

Smiling, I told her I saw it.  Having been through this many times, I know what's coming.  Wait for it...

She then proceeds to tell me that she likes when we have days off.  (I don't know why little kids think this will shock you, but anyway...) 

I told her I did, too.

(She looks confused, like "Really?") 

"You do?"  (Asked by the student and two others who have joined the conversation by this point.)

"Sure," I said.  "I get to sleep in and I can walk around in my PJs and slippers all day if I want to!"  (Of course, trying to imagine your teacher in PJs and slippers is hilariously funny to them and they are giggling like mad.)

(Enter smile and head shake.) "Okay guys, time to get back to your seats."

Children...are...funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment