Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 55: It's Over!

Another American Education Week down.  I don't have to see it again until next November. 

I had quite a few visitors in my room this year, mostly in the afternoons during science and math. I did have a few during one of the mornings when we were doing writing workshop on our Pilgrim writing projects.  Sorry to say that most of the parents looked like they were a bit bored observing the writing process with the children.  I couldn't tell for sure, though.  I just know most of them didn't stay around for very long.

As a said before, I don't plan anything extra special during that week.  I believe the idea is to come in and see what your child does on a regular basis.  I'm not knocking teachers who do special programs or projects, because I know that sometimes that's the only way to get some parents in.  And sometimes the week falls at the end of a unit, where the teachers may already have planned something to celebrate the end of the unit.  (If you are not familiar with LFS, end-of-the-unit/theme celebrations are sort of expected.)  For example, the fourth-grade team in my building studies regions of the United States as part of their geography skills.  When they reach the end of a region, they have a Region Days celebration that highlights the food (of course!), music, customs, etc. of a particular region.  It's a huge deal for them.

For me, I'd rather parents see how we go through our day (It answers some of those questions that may have still been on their minds since conferences or eliminates others that may have cropped up since then.).  Some parents are even surprised at how much we actually cram into a day's work and wonder at how I and other teachers manage to do it.  Sometimes it gives others a new appreciation for your work.

Ah well.  On to those few days before break!

No comments:

Post a Comment