Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 52: American Education Week

Here it is again.  American Education Week. This is the week set aside to celebrate the American education system and those who work in it.  A week where programs may be put on, book fairs may be held, and parents may observe your room and watch what their children do all day while they are under your guidance and direction. 

**Sigh.**

I don't like American Education Week. 

There. 

I've said it.

I know some schools set aside a day or two for parents to come in during a few hours.  My previous school was like that.  Parents could come in on one of two days for a little while.  My current school permits parents to visit four days of the five this week, from 9:15-3:15.  So if a parent wants to come in and stay all day, they can.

Did I mention that I don't like this week?

Today began the first day of visitation.  I had two visitors, during computer lab.  That's it for the whole day.  And that's okay with me.

It's not that I have anything to hide.  Far from it.  I'm very open with my parents. I constantly send updates, e-mail pictures of special things we do in class, and keep our class webpage updated on a weekly basis. 

And it's not so much that I mind having a person or two in my room once in a while.  What I don't like is when I have a crowd of people in my room.  It feels like I'm on display while I do my job.  I know parents are interested in what we do during the day, but I am trying to work.

The other thing that bothers me is when parents come in and disrupt your room. I overheard a colleague telling about a parent who was cracking jokes while s/he was trying to teach!  This while another parent was hovering over his/her child while s/he was working, asking questions.  Nevermind that these behaviors were probably disruptive to the rest of the children in the room who were trying to focus and learn. 

The idea of coming in to observe is just that.  The kids are still trying to focus and complete their work.  I've never had to correct a parent during American Education Week, but I don't think I'd have a problem doing so--tactfully, of course.  Bottom line is, this is school and students are trying to learn.

What bothers me above everything, however, is when parents come in and their children are suddenly unable to do things on their own or so wrapped up in trying to get their parent's attention that they aren't paying attention to their work.  Some children actually behave worse when their parents are in the room.

I've already warned my students about such behavior.  I flat out tell them that while we may have visitors, we still have work to do and I expect them to get it done as if there is no one else in the room.  I also tell them that it doesn't matter to me who is visiting: their mom, dad, granny, grandpa, aunt, uncle. etc.  There are expectations and they need to be followed or I will correct the behavior.  No excuses, no apologies made.  For the most part, my students pretty much stay on task.

There are three days left in the week.  I'm hoping most of my visitors come tomorrow for our speaker presentation.  Since we are studying live insects in science (on a rotation with weather), we have a local biologist coming in to talk with the children about types of insects and share interesting facts.  It should be very informative.

Past that, during the rest of the week we will be finishing our Pilgrim stories, writing workshop, math lessons on attributes and buying items, a lesson on seasons, a guidance lesson on being a good friend, and an observation of our mealworm colony (Our first beetle appeared today.).  That's it.  I don't believe in "putting on a show" for parents.  I teach what I teach.  Period.

So we'll see how this week goes.  Should be interesting.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment