Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 37: Red Ribbon Week

Next week is Red Ribbon Week.  For those of you unaware of what this is, it is a week set aside each year to honor a fallen DEA agent in his quest to rid our country of drugs and drug violence.  Sadly, the agent was killed during this quest and the week has sprouted out of his efforts to keep our children drug-free and safe in their own neighborhoods.

In my school, we do a theme week.  Each day the students are to wear a specific color or item of clothing to signify that they will aim to live drug-free lives.  Monday is "Red"-y to Be Drug Free.  All students are to wear red.  Tuesday is picture day, so it's I "Look My Best" When I Am Drug Free.  Wednesday is crazy sock day, you know, "Sock" It to Drugs.  (Got my candy corn socks all ready!) Thursday is the day we are to wear our favorite T-shirts--I Am Drug Free and I Feel "T-riffic."  Friday is School Spirit Day and the day of Halloween parties and costume parades. 

In addition to the theme days, we have a Red Ribbon Packet we go through during Social Studies time.  I use the packet to show my students other things they can do, and the difference between "good" drugs (like allergy medicine or antibiotics to kill germs), and ''bad" drugs like alcohol, nicotine, and street drugs.  I'm also sure to tell them that they should never take anything without an adult, be careful of things they see lying around since so many pills look like candy, and other safety precautions.  I know my kiddos are only second graders, but I think it's important to get them thinking about things like this.  The packets we have are grade-level appropriate and the children seem to enjoy them a lot.

If you want extra activities or are interested in sharing this information with your class (if you are not participating already), check out the link above or any of the following: 
http://www.redribbonweek.com/,  http://www.imdrugfree.com/, or  http://www.drugsrdumb.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment