Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 36: Listening

Oh my goodness. Can I just say that sometimes little children make me want to scream?  Am I allowed to admit that?  As a parent and a teacher, sometimes I wonder about the hearing ability of the children I come into contact with on a daily basis.

My own children seem to have "selective hearing" at times.  You know, like when they are in the middle of a game or playing and you want them to do something else?  I swear you can call them 50 times and you will still get no response.  Then other times, you call them and they are right where you want them to be.

The same is true for my students. By nature, I am not a loud person.  I am fairly soft spoken.  However, I am not so soft spoken that my directions cannot be heard. On at least three occasions today I gave directions to my class, only to have a handful actually follow through on what I asked them to do.  Then when I ask, "What was my direction?", they look around at each other for the answers.  This has been going on just about all week and it's driving me crazy! I swear it's getting worse the closer we get to Halloween.  It's like they all have candy on the brain.  Can it be so hard to have everyone LISTEN and follow directions?!? 

I hate repeating myself.  ABSOLUTELY. HATE. REPEATING. MYSELF. I give directions twice for things.  After that, they have to figure it out or ask a neighbor.  Simply put, I cannot repeat myself 19 times for every assignment.  We are going to have to go back to repeating the directions before moving on for the next few days.  Otherwise I might crack.  Or blow my top.  Or whatever colorful euphemism you'd like to insert.  You get my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment