Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 24: Test Folders

There are a few schools of thought regarding school work being sent home.  I have colleagues who show student work like tests, quizzes, and projects to parents twice a year (at conference times).  I personally think this is wrong.  As a parent, I want to know how my children are doing.  I want to see their quizzes, test, classwork, etc. so I can see what areas need to be practiced more.

The reasoning some of my colleagues give is that they want to have work samples and data* for meetings and referrals for Special Education or Gifted Education available and waiting.  They feel that they will not get work back if it is sent home.  I get that.  However, I think parents have a right to know how their children are doing in school.
(*Data is another post for another day.  Let's just say it is a four-letter word to me.)

How do I get around the problem?  I explain to parents at Back to School Night that test folders will come home every two to three weeks (depending on the number of assignments and how quickly I get things graded).  I also explain why it is important to review and sign off on the materials before sending them back.
This way, parents see the work and can keep certain assignments while I keep the more important pieces for data purposes.  I've done this for several years now and have not had a problem arise yet.

So what do the folders look like?  I take plain manila folders and label them with the child's name and classroom number (makes organization easier).  On the front of the folder, I have a list of things that parents are to keep (drawings, spelling quizzes, workbook pages,etc.).  There is also a list of things they are to return (unit tests, reading theme tests, science and social studies quizzes).  Inside the folder I staple a chart with four columns (date, parent signature, comments for me, and questions for me regarding the work viewed).  If there are any questions, I respond via e-mail or note in student planner that same day.  The system has worked for me.

When I send folders home (usually on a Friday), they are to be returned no later than Wednesday of the following week.  I do this because I know kids have weekend activities and such, so I don't want to cut into that time.  I also give the extra few days for the students whose parents are separated or divorced; that time is allotted so that both parents can view the work (if both parties are interested).   I tell the children that unsigned folders will be sent back home for signature so I know parents saw the work, and that any folder not returned on time will be followed up by a phone call, e-mail, or note home to be sure parents did see the work and that the folder isn't hiding in someone's backpack.  After Wednesday, any student who has not returned the folder owes me recess.  Seems harsh, but folders are back 99% of the time so I can begin filing again.  That 1% of students usually does not forget after owing the first time.

I sent home my first test folder last week; it took that long to get some quality work in since the first two weeks were filled with routines, beginning-of-the-year testing, and actually getting into the work.  I had nearly three-quarters of the students return their folders today...with signatures!  I reminded the remaining few; hopefully they will have their folders tomorrow.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment