Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 158: Mother's Day

Today we worked on Mother's Day projects.  I know some teachers do theirs a few days ahead, but I find that sometimes little ones have a hard time keeping a secret, so I do mine a day or two before the weekend.

I've done various projects through the years, but this year we made cluster pins for Mom.  The students worked with me in stations to hot glue crystal beads onto pin backings.  Why pins?  I had the idea of "My mom's a jewel," and it was the easiest project to do with my kiddos.  (And, I had a hard time finding the proper cording for the necklaces I had originally planned to do!)

Result?  The students loved it!  I provided a range of colored beads, ranging from clear to gold to champagne.  Some of the beads also had an iridescent sheen on them.  The students planned out the beads they wanted to use (one even painstakingly picked out only her mom's favorite colors), and I helped them glue their designs (and reglue escaped beads!).

While the beads were setting, we created our cards.  Then we wrapped our pins in felt and tissue paper (a little cushion for the trip home!)

Here are some pictures of a final product:

Top view.  Isn't it purty?

Ooh.  Sparkly.

No comments:

Post a Comment