Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 153: Half Days

Friday, April 29 was a half day--for me.  (My district doesn't do half days; the only exception being the last day of school.)  I took the morning so I could take my daughter to her follow up for her ankle.  (All clear, by the way.) 

I left my usual Friday routine out for the substitute.  As best as I can tell, everything was done.  There were Xs on the stuff I had marked, but no notes were left behind.  Nor was the sub there when I got to the building.  (On half days I come early so I can go over the morning, but no one was there.  Oh well.)

I also learned that there was no library on Friday.  Of course, that happened to be where my class was scheduled to be.  So that means I had no planning time.  So what do you do when you find out 20 minutes before you are to pick up the students from lunch that there is no special for them to go to after lunch?  Panic?  Cry?  Beat your fists and yell?  Noooooo.  (You might want to, but those won't solve your problem.)  

I decided to extend my insect unit in science by showing a 20-minute video on amazing insects and their life cycles, then have a discussion about it.  (We are in the middle of our milkweed bug colony right now, and we have learned the difference between complete and incomplete metamorphosis, so it fit.)  The students loved it, learned a few new things, and I got a chance to at least go over a few items for the afternoon.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment