Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 122: Animal Reports

As a wrap-up to the Amazing Animals theme in my reading series, I always have the students write animal reports.  The students get to practice researching and writing nonfiction text.  I tell them they are going to be the "experts" on their animal.  Students choose three of their favorite animals, and I assign them at random.  Once their organizer is done, we have a writing workshop to write out our reports.  After that is finished, we hike to the computer lab and find photos to go along with our reports.  The end result is a project that looks like an official scientific report.

I'm pretty excited to see what my students come up with this year.  In the past, most of my students have done "popular" animals: lions, red-eyed tree frogs, shark, various dinosaurs, tigers, dolphins, and polar bears.  Only three of those animals made the cut this year.  On the list this time are animals like peacocks, snowshoe hares, cottonmouth snakes, giraffes, hippos, and veined octopus. 

The organizers are due this coming Tuesday.  I plan to have the projects written by Friday or the following Monday at the latest.  (How will I have time, you ask?  My state is taking its yearly academic tests in reading, writing, math, and science in Grades 3 and up, so we second graders have some extra time in our schedules!)  I will post pics of the final projects once we have them finished.

Stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment