Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 118: The Day After the Bug

...and it was!

Tuesday I awoke feeling a lot better.  My stomach was still tender to touch, though.  I ate foods other than oatmeal and they stayed where they were supposed to.  Yes!

I still felt a little weak, but I managed to get some laundry done.  I worried about my class because I didn't recognize the name on the substitute list on the e-mail through work.  (We use a system called Aesop to fill our slots for subs, and she wasn't on my list of preferred subs.)  You know how it is.  We worry that the kids will get everything while we are out, or that we will have to reteach everything when we return.

My physical therapist did see me that day; I figured I had better get in because I hadn't been in for four days and I was starting to ache a bit.  (I go three days a week.) They went a little easier on me because my stomach was still tender, but I got a good session in anyway.  They have me doing stretches, exercises to build up my muscles, STIM (muscle stimulation through electrode patches) sessions, and X-taping.  The latter is my favorite because it's like a permanent brace on your leg and supports your muscles.  The tape goes from your thigh to your calf, crossing behind your knee to create a support. The first time they taped me, I was able to go up and down the stairs with no pain for the first time in six months.  I get taped once a week, and it stays on for about three to four days before I have to take it off and let my muscles relax a bit.

Oh, and speaking of my knee pain, they finally figured out the culprit.  I have back problems that have affected the nerves in my leg, which are affecting my knee joint and the muscles around it, causing the weakness and pain I've been experiencing.  Quick backstory: I injured my back when I delivered my son a few years back.  The delivery also caused my pelvis to be out of line for several months before it was caught and supposedly remedied.  Enter a car accident less than a year later.  Several years down the line, here I am, trying to get put back together again.  I feel like Humpty Dumpty.  The good news is that I should be back to my old self by summer vacation. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment