Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 18: Updates

Topic 1:
I didn't find the book order.  After I ripped everything apart--again--I e-mailed the mom of the student and told her what happened.  She didn't seem to upset about it, but I still feel terrible because now she has to cancel her check for the amount and pay whatever fee her bank charges.  I went ahead and ordered the books anyway because they aren't in the next brochure. I paid for them with my bonus points.  I figure it's the least I could do.

Topic 2:
The reporter interviewed me yesterday about using Donors Choose.  You know, why I decided to use the site, if I asked my students' parents to donate to it, and all that stuff. 

I decided to use the site because I've been wanting the WhisperPhones for a while, but I can't afford a class set.  (Sharing is not an option; it's a hygiene issue for me.  I figure each student can be assigned one to use for the year and I can periodically disinfect them.)

I didn't tell my parents about my being on the site. I generally don't ask  the parents for much; I pretty much buy everything I need/want to use outside of what the school provides.  (See the post from Day 15.)  Anyhow, outside of Kleenex, hand soap, and paper towels, there isn't much else I feel comfortable asking for aside from the occasional class book donation from the yearly book fairs.  The parents in my school are very involved in the PTA, from appreciation luncheons for teachers and class parties to assemblies and book fairs.  With all that they already do, it just doesn't feel right to ask for more, especially with the expense of the product I'm asking for.
With Donors Choose, donations are through anonymous donors.  There may be some parents who want to help with the class but may not be able to afford to donate items, through Donors Choose or just in general, and that's fine.  I feel like I'm removing the pressure on parents and allowing them to help however they are able, whether it's during class parties, helping in the building, etc.  
I know there are probably some people who would say that parents want the best for their children and want them to succeed, so why not ask them for donations on Donors Choose?  As a parent, I understand the reasoning.  I donate to my children's classes as I am able.  I think not asking parents for certain items eliminates the feeling/pressure of "having" to donate because someone's child happens to be my student; I don't want to be the one to say you absolutely must donate to the class.  To me, that's too much control over someone else's choice.

But, if after reading the article I have parents who want to donate, that's okay.  I just don't want to tell them they have to do it.

I know some of you are reading this and questioning the fact that I'm asking strangers for these items.  I look at it like a common interest.  When there is a crisis, donation drive for illness, or special collection taken for a need, people contribute if they feel moved to do so.  I look at having supplies to help students be successful as a vital need, especially in these times.  People will contribute if they feel moved to do so, just as they donate to animal shelters, hospitals, and other organizations or causes.  Will I be upset if no one donates?  Maybe.  I'll just try to find another way.

Topic 3:
Still dealing with the issue of the torn meniscus in my knee.  I'm learning how to hobble around with a brace on my knee while trying to keep up with my second graders until I get the MRI on Monday and the doctors tell me what they think should happen next.

As one of my friends always says, "I tell ya. Never a dull moment!"

No comments:

Post a Comment