Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 10: Back to School Night

Tonight was Back to School Night, or Parent Night, as you might call it in your school.  I had nearly all of my parents come, which was good.

As long as I've been doing this, I always get a little nervous on Back to School Night because it's a new group of parents, just like your new group of students.  Every year I have packets explaining what to expect over the course of the school year for language arts, math, science, and social studies.  On one of the tables I put little notes for a class wish list  (select-a-size paper towels, Kleenex with lotion, and foaming hand soap refills) so parents can choose what they want to donate, if they want to donate at all.  (I also put the same notes out during report card conferences.)  ***I add a picture that goes along with my classroom theme, put the wish list item beside the picture, and print the notes out on the computer.  See below:



I also have a list of what things I want to talk about.  Ask me if I follow it.  I swear, as much as I try to cover everything, I always feel like I forget something.  Take tonight for example.  On my list, I wrote the things I wanted to go over: some things about myself, behavior and responsibility expectations, allergies in the room, our new intensive learning support program, and what projects we will be doing throughout the year.

I went through everything on my list, and still thought of extra things, like our class party jar and reminding students to bring in water bottles for hot days.  (If you read my post titled "Heatwave" you know what I'm talking about regarding those water bottles!)

The note from tonight is still on my desk at school.  I've decided to let it hang around for a few days in case something else pops into my head.  You know the saying, "Hindsight is 20-20."  That way, I'll add to it if needed, type it up, and file it away for next year.

That should cover it...right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment