Monday, July 11, 2011

Where Is My Summer Going?!?


Just last week we celebrated our nation's independence with picnics and fireworks.  The stores celebrated the holiday with Fourth of July sales, only to be closely followed with Back to School sales.  Haven't checked your newspaper flyers lately?  I can assure you...it's begun.  This week's Target ad has a two-page spread with specials on lunchboxes, lunchbox containers, backpacks, notebooks, and writing utensils.  Not to be outdone, Wal-Mart also has a flyer out this week solely dedicated to all things school, whether that school is college or K-12.  As my daughter said when the flyers came, "I just want to enjoy my summer!" 

Ditto.

I feel like my summer just began.  I finished school (with students) on June 10th, was away for a conference that following week, took four days of teacher inservice courses the week after that, and served as preschool director for my church's Vacation Bible School the week after that.  And now the papers are advertising for school supplies. 

Just. So. Sad. 

I know some of you have been planning for the next school year already, but I figure I'll give myself another week or so before I really get into it.  In the meantime, I am undertaking a new adventure.  I'll be trying my hand at being a freelance education writer for Suite 101!  This is pretty exciting because I can write about what I do and I can do so whenever I choose.  If you don't remember, I worked in the writing field for a number of years before changing careers to be a teacher.

I know what you're thinking:  Aren't you busy enough?  Yes and no.  This year my husband and I will not be full-time weekend houseparents at the facility for underprivileged children.  It was too hard on my children, who missed out on a lot of their own activities (like sports) because we were on duty every other weekend.  We are still on the on-call list, but we are not obligated to go in just because there's a need.  The second reason we are not working full time on the weekend has to do with me; I have to take some courses in order to attain my next level in teacher certification for my state.  There is just not enough time in a week to get everything done.

So what am I doing in the meantime?  I'm reviewing and previewing academic skills with my children, catching up on my personal reading, running when my knee permits, and enjoying my family.  I can think about school in another week or so...as long as I don't look at any more flyers in the paper! 

1 comment:

  1. Taking that time for self-care is SO important. I can't tell you how many people I know who reach a point in their career when they finally get to slow down, and then say "I'm getting to remember who I am." I was glad to hear you say you were taking some 'me time.' Nobody else will do that for you. Enjoy the rest of the summer. :D

    ReplyDelete