Monday, July 4, 2011

(Day 3 of Scholastic Trip #2)

Okay, so Day 3 wasn't really a full day.  Actually, it wasn't even part of the original plan for the trip, but one of the members of the editorial team asked if any of us would be available Thursday morning to talk about the focus of publishing from the standpoint of the teacher. 

I got up and showered, ordered and ate breakfast, finished packing for the trip home, checked my bag at the front desk and ordered my cab to the train station to be ready when I got back from the meeting, and met the three remaining advisors for our trip over to Scholastic.

Breakfast.  Fuel for the day.

We met with a member of the editorial team who talked with us for about an hour.  We talked about how well the books fit into the curriculum, what areas and levels still need materials, how to address the needs when state standards are so different (although the new Common Core Standards may help with that issue), and how test preparation materials fit into the grand picture of things.  There should be more materials in social studies and science coming for the lower grades; one of my complaints was that the materials offered for the lower grades are either too simplistic or too far above grade level for the students to understand.  We'll see what happens.   We also found out how to submit our own material if we so choose.  There's no guarantee we'll be published, but it's nice to know the option is there.

After our meeting, I went back to the hotel, picked up my bag, and got into the cab.  My cab ride to Penn Station was just as harrowing as the one I took the night I arrived. I was glad to get out of the taxi!  An hour later, after a purchase of a french toast bagel with cream cheese (and a drink), I was on my way home. 

Ahh.  Home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment