Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 145: Thundercake!

Today saw my class finishing up the story Thundercake in our anthology.  I love this story, written by Patricia Polacco.  If you are not familiar, the story is about a little girl (Patricia) who learns not to be afraid of thunder while helping her grandmother gather ingredients for a "thundercake."

My students love this story and are especially excited to learn that the recipe for thundercake (which belonged to Patricia's grandmother) is in the back of the book (and on the website linked above).  Every year I have students who are surprised to learn that you can use tomatoes in a cake, but they get over it.  Mostly because I bake a thundercake (or rather, thunder cupcakes) for my classes every year and share it as a surprise snack.  (Truth be told, you don't even taste the tomatoes through all the chocolate and strawberries!) 

If you've never made a thundercake for yourself (or anyone else), I encourage you to do so.  You will not be disappointed.  (And it doesn't even have to be a thunderstorm for you to enjoy it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment