Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 180: Last Day of School

Friday, June 10 was...

The.

Last.

Day.

Of.

School.

The last day was actually a half day for the students.  The first portion of the day was a slide show presented by the PTA.  Every year the PTA gathers together pictures from the first day of school until about the last two weeks of school.  The show is set to music and covers everything from holiday celebrations, PTA assemblies, functions like Read Across American Week, the May Fair, classroom speakers, classroom projects and lessons, time on the playground, field day, lunch, time in specials, etc.  The show is about an hour long.  The children really enjoy the show because they see themselves or friends, and there's a lot of "Oh, I remember that!"  It's really pretty cool.

After the slide show we had snack and finished off our last chapter book of the year.  Then we went out for recess.  Once recess was over I passed out the report cards/summer newsletter/summer practice work packet  and read a short story.  By then, the dismissals had begun.  As the children went out, they hugged me and wished me a good summer.  I told them to send me postcards from wherever they traveled or to stop by at the beginning of the school year to tell me about their summers.

Once the students have gone, the teachers had a potluck lunch. (We do this every year.)  After lunch, we worked in our rooms and/or on cumulative folders.  Whatever didn't get finished was pushed to Monday, our last teacher day in the building.  (I finished my folders, but my room still needed work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment